Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My post from staging

Hello all, i'm now a Peace Corp Trainee! I just wrapped up my day at staging in Washington DC. Tomorrow I head to Johannesburg to officially start training with the Peace Corps.

This will most likely be my last post for awhile because I won't have internet connection or cell service for the first couple months in SA, but please start sending me letters in the mail if you have a few minutes! My mailing address is posted along the side of this blog, and make sure to write Air Mail (Par Avion) on the envelope, and send stuff in a padded envelope if you are going to send anything more than a letter. Also, for customs purposes, declare that the content is a small (dollar) amount and declare it as "educational material." I can't really think of anything that I want people to send me right now, so just tell me about your life. I will be missing everyone very much, and it would be great to hear what you are doing.

Oh, and here is what I packed to South Africa if you are interested.
Clothes
Khaki pants
Jeans
Khaki shorts
Gym shorts
Polo shirts
Collared shirts(short and long sleeved)
Suit
Ties
T-shirts (short and long sleeved)
Thermal shirts
Sweatpants
Long underwear
Socks and regular underwear

Shoes
Sandals
Hiking shoes
Soccer shoes (indoor)
Black dress shoes
Brown dress shoes

Electronics
iPod
Netbook
External hard-drive
Shortwave radio
Camera
Steripen

Other stuff
2 soccer balls
1 football (American)
Hand pump
Soccer cones
Sleeping bag
Shake and charge flashlight
Headlamp
Multi-tool
Books
Journals
Crayons
Coloring book
World Map
Uno deck
Toiletries

I probably forgot a lot of things that I packed, and I have no idea if all of this will be worth bringing. But my bags are packed, and I'm waking up in the morning to head to South Africa. I will miss you all.
Peace Out!