Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I am pretty lucky

I realize now that I was very lucky to get placed in the time that I did. My time-line is relatively short compared to other Peace Corps Applicants, and everything seemed to fall into place from the moment I began thinking about the Peace Corps. I remember my recruiter telling me "it must be meant to be" when she called me the day of my interview to extend a nomination. I have to laugh now, because I guess it really was meant to be. I remember the anxiety of application, and although mine is unique to my situation, and much shorter than most, I will give a short overview of the steps I have taken to get where I am today.

TIMELINE
June 24th, 2009: Finished application and sent to Peace Corps (w/ recommendation letters)
July 12th, 2009: Mailed background check and fingerprint cards
August 14th, 2009: Interviewed and Nominated
August 24th, 2009: Legal Clearance
September 18th, 2009: Doctors Appointment/Physical
September 29th, 2009: Dentists Appointment
October 6th, 2009: Dental Clearnace
October 14th, 2009: Medical Clearance
November 6th, 2009: Emailed updated resume to placement office
November 9th,  2009: Phone call from placement officer, invitation extended!
November 13th, 2009: Received invitation packet from PC

Note that my time-line is only about 5 months, which is under the amount of time that the Peace Corps actually said it will take to get through the application process, so like i said, I am pretty darn lucky. I think it was all about persistence and taking the initiative to finish all the steps as timely as possible, and it was meant to be. My shock of actually getting invited has finally started to wear off and I am now left with the impending departure and the massive list of things I have to finish before I leave.