I had my interview for the Peace Corp today, and met my recruiter at a coffee shop in Denver. We talked and she asked me a number of piercing questions about the amazing decision I am deciding to make. It went really well, and after our conversation she said that she wanted to nominate me! I was over joyed, even though I could not work in information technology because it requires two years of real world experience, which I don't have. My recruiter initially offered me a position as a community developer in Africa working with HIV/AIDS awareness that would leave in January of 2010. I was overjoyed when I heard about this position, Africa is where i dreamed of going and it was the opportune time for me to leave, but when she called about the position it had already been filled.
She let me know that it was one of the last possible positions for that area, and I should instead shift my focus towards teaching English as a second language. I had always been interested in teaching, and this allowed me to go to Africa, Asia, or the pacific islands, but the departure time was almost a year out and it required more training. I still was very happy with how the interview went, and i left the coffee shop and immediately called the English as a second language department at CU to inquire about gaining some experience working with English as a second language students.
Still, I left the meeting even more confused at what I wanted to do with my life, and still unsure about the time between when I graduate in December and when I would leave for the Peace Corp. At this point I thought that I possibly wouldn't be leaving until August or September of 2010. However, I got a phone call about two hours after my interview from my recruiter and to my surprise she had found another opening in Africa for the same position she had previously offered.
So today, August 14th, I was interviewed and nominated for service in the Peace Corp to leave in January of 2010. I cannot be more excited, and after some volunteer experience with the Boulder County AIDS Project I will be ready to go. At this point that is all i really know, I assume that I will have to start getting shots and filling out medical paper work for the next few months in preparation of my trip. But holy crap, I'm going to Africa.