The count down to my departure to training before leaving for South Africa is at 52 days. In that short amount of time, I will graduate from college, celebrate christmas with my family, visit New York city for New Years and pack up my life into a backpack and a suitcase.
I really have had to put into perspective how huge the next few months of my life are going to be. I sometimes only realize how large the decision that I am making through the reactions of others. My invitation to join the Peace Corps arises in discussions soon after I tell people of my impending graduation, and it is really amazing the variety of responses I get from people. I am happy that I have been able to be a resource to some about their own personal interest in the Peace Corps, but I have also been met with shock and wonderment. I have never in my life been thanked for something that I have yet to do, and this is true with the Peace Corps. The amazing life opportunity that I have been given is both admired and respected throughout this country. I am proud to be able to be a representative of the United States, and I can't believe I am so darn close to starting my adventure.
I promise that this blog will get more interesting once I touch down in South Africa, and I will definitely start jazzing it up a bit with pictures. But for now, know that I am ready and eager to tackle the challenge of the Peace Corps in South Africa, I just need to finish college finals first.